Saturday, February 07, 2009

Rhett Miller/Joe Pug; February 7, 2009; Majestic Theater

Maybe he says that to all the girls, but Rhett Miller sure seems to love Madison. The native Texan has all the requisite pride associated with hailing from the Lone Star state, but he still seems to have some affection to share. The greatest thing about Texas is Austin and he claims “the closest thing to Austin is Madison, WI,” during the mutual love fest that went on during his high energy show at the converted movie theater. While the large crowd chattered incessantly during opener Joe Pug’s Dylan-inspired set, loud enough to make me want to find Pug after the show and apologize, they hung on Rhett’s every word.

Of course, that didn’t mean they were actually quiet. A few felt the need to try to converse with him, while others just sang along at the top of their lungs to every single song. I was impressed that the guy standing right behind us knew all the words to “Stoned” from the Old 97’s bar setting first record Hitchike to Rhome, much less so when he also knew everything from the solo records. It’s hard to believe that the same guy who wrote the clever line “The Empty Bottle was half empty,” (from the smart song featured tonight “Barrier Reef” on the outstanding record Too Far to Care) is also responsible for the pap that populates his solo releases The Believer and The Instigator. To be fair, I only bought the first of those before realizing there was a reason the Old 97 didn’t record those songs. I find I prefer the Old 97’s candor and the leveling presence of bassist Murray Hammond, the Lennon to Rhett’s McCartney. Having said that I should mention that I didn’t really like their last record Blame It on Gravity either.

Still, Rhett live is a whole ‘nother matter. The title song to the last band record was improved immensely by his electric presentation, while most of the solo material seemed less ridiculous when played with some spit and a whole lot of sweat. Despite being a pretty boy, a very pretty boy, he isn’t afraid to put everything into a show or even to look a little silly. “Fireflies” recorded as a duet always stands out from the rest of the solo material, is still presented as a two part song, even though he was the only one on stage. “When I sing from the right side,” he instructed us, “I’m a girl, and when I sing from the left I’m me.” Somehow he kept his sides straight.

Every time I see him the balance shifts a little more from the stellar material of the Old 97’s first three releases to their later and his solo material. Still, when he does that windmill from the elbow down thing, hips swiveling, hair plastered in ringlets to the side of his face, shirt heavy with sweat, those big eyes blinking the salt away, a goofy grin on his face, it is hard, nay impossible, to resist him. I don’t even know why I try.












No comments: