Sunday, March 22, 2009

SXSW Day 5; March 22, 2009; Austin TX

Only a few official SXSW events remained on Sunday, but there was still enough other music to keep me here another day. Well, that and the fact that flights back to Madison were significantly more expensive if I left today.

House of Righteous Music alum Brennen Leigh had been playing gigs all over town during the week, but none of them lined up with my schedule. I was depending on today to finally see her play. Unfortunately I was informed by the Jon Dee fans I’d met at the Saxon the night before that I there was no possible way I could take the bus to the Nutty Brown Café (which I called the “Fuzzy” Brown to their amusement). Luckily one of them volunteered to take me there since she had been meaning to go there for some time. They were right as the Café turned out to be several miles outside of downtown.

It certainly wasn’t the most ideal set-up ever. Half the bands playing at the day long event played on the main stage, a permanent structure that looked as though it could host some pretty big names. The other half were assigned to the “parking lot” stage, which had been dropped off on the wrong side of the lot that morning and couldn’t be moved. Instead the several hundred yards necessary to prevent sound bleed over between that stage and the main one was reduced to less than one hundred. That meant it was almost impossible to hear the smaller stage when the larger one also had a band on it, which was at least half of Brennen’s set.

But what I could hear sounded terrific. In addition to her brother Seth, who had joined her for their show at the house, there was also an upright bass player which perfectly suits her bluegrass style. I’m not a fan if girl singers in general, but when I do like them they are never of the “girly” type. They have strong or non-traditional voices, are usually sassy, have good hair, and tend toward country. Brennen has all those qualities and then some. Her favorite music is that of the Louvin Brothers and the influence of their country folk is apparent in everything from songs like “What’ll I Do” to her aw shucks charm.

We had made it over to their stage at least one song in since we couldn’t even tell they had started over the ruckus of Two Hoots and a Holler (a band which Brennen affectionately hurled insults at during the first half of her set). It was several songs in before she said “I hear there’s someone from Wisconsin here,” to which I gave a little wave. “Oh, it’s Kiki, I didn’t even recognize you,” she claimed before dedicating, appropriately, the duet “Milwaukee Here I Come” to me.

During her set an adorable little brunette came running up, “Keeeeeeekeeeee!” she exclaimed. It took a second to register that it was Jenny Parrot from the Shotgun Party, friends of Brennen’s who had recently played the basement. They have a new, and they claim permanent, upright base player. Andrew, who sported a suit and loud, colorful tie for “black and white with a touch of yellow day,” is coincidentally originally from Madison where his father had been head of Bravehearts Theater. When I told him that I currently have a bunch of their chairs in my basement, he laughed, exclaiming, “I know exactly what they look like!”

During the second half of their set they were plagued by the same obnoxious sound problems as Brennen had been. It didn’t keep them from sounding terrific. A few new songs were mixed in with old favorites like “Pickled Eggs” from their debut self-titled CD. Andrew and Jenny looked like kids having the time of their lives despite the less than ideal circumstances, while Katie Rose fiddled up a storm. I was disappointed to learn that she will not be joining them when they play the Sugar Maple fest here this summer, but at least I got to see them today.

With Alejandro taking over the Continental Club for his traditional last day of SXSW show, we were worried that the inevitable overflow of people would move upstairs to the Gallery for Jon Dee & Friend, a brand new weekly residency helmed by Jon Dee Graham. Tonight was the inaugural show and with all the talent in town, the Friend became plural, making us even more nervous that we wouldn’t get in arriving just a few minutes before 8. We needn’t have worried, there was plenty of room. In fact I don’t even think the folks downstairs knew what was going on above them.

Though they must have wondered where Alejandro went around 10 pm when he climbed the steps to be Jon Dee’s final guest for the night. As he had for all his guests, Jon Dee backed him on lap steel as Alejandro played guitar and belted out two of his classics. Other than the upright bass player who led off of the night who also got to play two songs, everyone else was limited to one. A parade of Austin singer songwriters joined Jon Dee at the front of the room, and every one of them seemed delighted to be a part of the evening. Dustin Welch, who Jeremiah had told me to see if possible, played the song the two of them had written at the Steel Bridge Festival last June. The tiny Kacy Crowley was delighted to learn that I was friends with Jentri in addition to Jeremiah. I was probably happiest to see Matt the Electrician who had somehow grown an impressive mountain man beard since he had played at the house in October.

Even with all the great performers I saw, I would have rather been there for the next installment of Jon Dee and Friend when the incomparable Sam Baker would be his guest. I hope Jon Dee remembered to tell Sam hi from me.

Nutty Brown Cafe
Brennen Leigh




The Shotgun Party




The Continental Club Gallery
Jon Dee Graham & Friends












No comments: