Sunday, April 12, 2009

Dub Trio/Gutbucket/Dick the Bruiser; April 12, 2009; High Noon Saloon

What’s with all the false advertising lately? Last week it was the Tallest Man on Earth, who wasn’t even the tallest guy on stage that night. This week it was Gutbucket, whose name conjures up all sorts of images of visceral, head-banging rock. Wrong, the only thing metal about this band was the series of saxophones that Ken Thomson played during his band’s set of instrumental jazz. Even though it wasn’t the Satan-worshiping music I had expected, that doesn’t mean I liked it. I’ve never been much of a jazz fan, and too often bookers think that instrumental bands should play together. Melody is important, but I’m a lyrics girl and I certainly didn’t need a second lyric-less band on the bill.

I was willing to give Dub Trio a shot though since they had come highly recommended. I was impressed, the lean (literally and musically) band is very good at what they do, but after 45 minutes I felt like I had heard enough and headed for the door. They kept it interesting by fusing reggae and dub elements into a smart and intelligent hard rock. Perhaps some vocals or vocal samples would have kept my attention till the end of their set. Not that it really mattered, I’d seen the band I’d come to see and was ready to go home.

That band was Dick the Bruiser a local duo who utilize the interesting combo of drums, bass and Theremin. I’d seen them a couple weeks before at the Project Lodge where a multitude of sound problems took their toll on the band’s usual lean, mean set (still pretty great though). Tonight they used their opening spot to full advantage, as usual blowing away the crowd who had the good sense to get there on time. Their sets are always on the short side due to the still limited catalog of the relatively young band, but it’s hard to find more gut pounding rock per minute.

Dick the Bruiser








Gutbucket


Dub Trio






No comments: