Thursday, May 28, 2009

Freedy Johnston; May 28, 2009; High Noon Saloon

When super-producer Butch Vig lists recording one of your songs as one of his top ten things ever, it would be hard not to get a big head. Vig numbered being in the studio as Johnston recorded “This Perfect World” for the record of the same name as one of his favorite moments. It is a gorgeous song, the breathless lyrics, “so blue I can’t begin to say,” perfectly expressive. That record and its single “Bad Reputation” were probably as close as he’ll ever get to making it big, but selfish as I am, I like it that way. Besides, I’ll take the congenial musician who played tonight over the guy who once shot back, “Do I come to your job and tell you how to flip burgers?” in response to a request.

Tonight’s Freedy was all smiles and manners. In fact at one point he even asked if there was something we wanted to hear. I wasn’t taking the chance, so I convinced Pete to yell for “Seventies Girl.” He’d had a couple drinks so was more than willing. Funny thing was they didn’t hear him till he used his “Alex voice” which he uses when he thinks only a girl will get a song played. “I wanted to play that too,” exclaimed local musician Jay Moran who accompanied Freedy on guitar, accordion and melodica. Apparently he had been shot down too since we didn’t hear the tale of a girl who stirs up trouble with her new boyfriend by getting into clothes left behind by an old lover.

Even without my favorite song it was still a solid set, the highlights of which were the two afore-mentioned songs as well as the poignant “Evie’s Tears” from This Perfect World, and another of his well-crafted characters in “I’m Not Hypnotized” (from Never Home which was as close as I got to “Seventies Girl”). A healthy dose of covers were also included. The Sixties hit “Love Grows” which he recorded for his 2001 album Right Between the Promises made an appearance early on, as did Paul McCartney’s underrated Wings hit “Listen to What the Man Says.” (Though if you want to hear that tune at its best, you should check out the Trouble with Sweeney’s version from the Fishtown Briefcase EP, which not only appeared on my top ten list that year, it topped it. A minor miracle when you consider that I hate EPs.)

Throughout Moran provided accompaniment and humor, they make a good pair. They encouraged us to come out the next night to see the Know It All Boyfriends, and all-covers, unrehearsed, good time band that also includes Vig and Duke Erickson. Maybe one of these days I’ll make it, but probably not until they do it someplace other than CafĂ© Montmartre which is barely tolerable most nights but excruciating when crowded. In fact, now that I think about Momo also made Vig’s list along with local band Drive-By Wendy. No offense Cathy, but they were not good. Hmm, maybe it wasn’t actually that high of praise after all.






No comments: