Friday, July 10, 2009

The Hold Steady/The Goddamn Doo Wop Band; July 10, 2009; Majestic Theater

I’ve reviewed the Hold Steady every time I’ve seen them, and I really haven’t had anything new to say in quite awhile. They always put on a terrific show, even if it doesn’t vary much from one year to the next. Their fan base keeps expanding, getting younger and becoming more obnoxious every time. I always want to be in the front row, but given my unwillingness to mosh, or to try to stay upright once the moshing starts, that hasn’t been practical for awhile. Tonight we had the good sense to once again take up residence behind a railing one level up from the dance floor. While it was temptingly empty up front when we arrived, we would have regretted it once the body passing started.

I was surprised the sold out show wasn’t crowded earlier, but maybe the rest of the folks had the sense to look up tonight’s opener, the God Damn Doo Wop Band, before they got there. Though not as bad as The Loved Ones (the band that opened their last Majestic show), the GDDWB couldn’t have been more aptly named. The three girl vocalists were certainly cute enough, and I liked the way their tattoos culture clashed with their prom dresses, but ten minutes in I’d had enough. Since they hail from Lifter Puller’s old stomping ground, the Twin Cities, I have no doubt they were hand picked by Craig Finn & company to open. It’s great that they pick their own support, but there are plenty of great bands from the Minneapolis/St Paul area, it would be nice if they picked one of them.

God Damn Doo Wop Band




The Hold Steady









No comments: