Sunday, November 22, 2009

Justin Roberts & the Not Ready for Naptime Players; November 22, 2009; Majestic Theater

The last time I saw Justin Roberts and his Not Ready for Naptime Players, I made a mad dash by myself from the airport to get there in time. If I was getting weird looks for not having any kids in tow, I didn’t notice. This time there were three of us and the guy taking tickets looked a little confused when I handed him ours. “That’s right, no kids,” I confirmed. It may seem a little strange for three grown-ups to be going to see a trio aimed at the ten and under crowd but to us it made perfect sense.

First, and most importantly, the Not Ready for Naptime Players are friends. Bassist Liam Davis is one of the founding members of Chicago’s terrific on-again off-again power pop band Frisbie. The drum kit is manned by Gerald Dowd, not only the best drummer I know but also one of the most genuine people I’ve ever met. I’ve seen him play with country bands, blues bands, Frisbie, Robbie Fulks, Chris Mills, Nora O’Connor and probably some others I don’t remember. No matter who he is playing with, his skills are obvious and his good nature apparent. A father himself, he always seems eager to play the kind of kids’ music that grown-ups can enjoy too.

Seeing Justin Roberts is like watching a Pixar movie, there’s something in his songs for everyone. Sure the songs may be about being a crossing guard, daydreaming in the outfield or refusing to comb your hair, but the melodies are pure power pop. In addition, the subtle references, like the line “I’ll stop the world and meltdown with you” (from “Meltdown”) make paying attention to the lyrics worthwhile. Like many of the better children’s artists performing today, Farmer Jason, Dan Zanes, Ralph’s World, Roberts played for grown ups first.. His band Pimentos for Gus may not have been as well known as Jason Ringenberg’s Scorchers or Zanes’ Del Fuegos, but he is proving himself their equal in the crossover market.

He managed to keep the ADD crowd interested for an hour with silly songs that begged to be sung along to and multiple appearances from Willy the Whale. Voiced by Liam, Willy came off a little crotchety from where we were sitting but the kids seemed to love him, and he brought their interest back to the show whenever it seemed they might be losing focus. The next time Roberts and his band return they promise to have a new CD and I’ll be interested to see what new things have sprung from his mind. Chances of a conflict are a little less than usual since most of the shows I go to aren't at 3 pm on a Sunday afternoon.






No comments: