Thursday, July 15, 2010

Freedy Johnston & Jay Moran; July 15, 2010; Genna’s Lounge

Madison has been a second home to Freedy Johnston ever since he recorded This Perfect World at Smart Studios. His time there led to friendship with Butch Vig, Duke Erikson and Jay Moran, and the four them play shows under the name the Know It All Boyfriends. In fact, I can’t remember the last time I saw him play a show in town without Moran as his sideman, and an awesome one at that. This not-quite secret show at the landmark bar, not known for live music, drew a number of notable patrons such as Erikson and Vig’s brother (who doesn’t look a thing like him). I finally got a chance to tell Erikson that I saw him at a Wrens’ show in London. After finding out I was a fan, he remarked, “they’re working on a new record you know.” I just smiled since they’ve been “working on a record” for the last five years.

I’d missed Johnston’s appearance at a free show celebrating Wisconsin becoming smoke free at the beginning of the month. I wasn’t too upset till I heard he had done a cover of the Bee Gees’ “How Deep Is Your Love.” The chance of hearing the Bee Gees (or the equally awesome Andy Gibb) song on the XM Radio’s 70’s station is the main reason I tune in. Since he was playing that show with disco cover band VO5, I figured that would be a one time deal and I’d missed it. Instead to my delight it showed up again tonight. His naturally high voice was a natural fit for the disco ballad (if that’s a thing).

The rest of his set was a fairly well distributed sampling of his catalog. Can You Fly received multiple votes including my favorite “Lucky One” (surprisingly I’d heard Mary Lou Lord’s version first). Disappointingly, “Seventies Girl” wasn’t on the list again tonight, but Never Home’s almost-as-good “I’m Not Hypnotized” did make the set. This Perfect World remains his career-best work and always contributes heavily to his live performance. The recording of the ethereal title track was listed as a top moment by Vig in his Rolling Stone top ten list, and “Bad Reputation” may be his best known song, while “Evie’s Tears” is as forlorn as they come. Overall, the set was loose and fun.

Perhaps a little too fun since many of the bar patrons seemed to forget they were seeing live music and the chatter level occasionally reached the level of distraction. Oh well, what can you expect for free? At least I got to hear “How Deep Is Your Love.”





No comments: