Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Ha Ha Tonka/Hoots & Hellmouth/Tall, Tall Trees; October 5, 2011; Brooklyn Bowl, Brooklyn

What a great place, it's like an amusement park. The venue half of the building was huge, I joked that "it's a barn, we're never going to fill it." Unfortunately I had to explain that was a Blues Brothers quote and not how I really felt. The bowling alley was right next to it, and despite the proximity, you couldn't hear the games being played. This is how you know it's an upscale bowling alley... instead of the typical plastic benches they had leather couches. The restaurant too was a big step above bowling alley food, with a price tag to match (the fried chicken was $22!). I would have used another quote from my favorite movie, but it was obvious they weren't going to get it. Thank goodness for meal vouchers. Local openers Tall Tall Trees were terrific, with a sound I couldn't quite pin down but reminiscent of Bright Eyes on occasion. Too bad their most recent release, already a few years old, doesn't capture that sound. Hopefully the next one will. In any case I'd love to see them again.

Tall, Tall Trees






Hoots & Hellmouth






Ha Ha Tonka












No comments: