Saturday, December 10, 2011

Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin/Ha Ha Tonka; December 10, 2011; The Soda Bar, San Diego

At one point in college I wanted to move to California. I was convinced it was the place for me, and San Diego was the city. Of course, my motivation had everything to do with the TV show Simon & Simon and nothing to do with any real knowledge about the city. I’m glad that isn’t the way it turned out, but it was nice to visit what had once been the city of my dreams.

The Soda Bar was another venue in an odd location, especially because once I walked in I was convinced I was in a Northern Wisconsin bar, raised semi-circle booths lined the walls, there was a pool table in back, and brown and gold vinyl were the decorating materiasl of choice. Tonight may have been my favorite show of the CA trio. Not only was it my last night, but it was the last night for the tour and everyone was in high spirits. The closing song each night had been both bands jamming on Oasis’s “Champagne Supernova,” but tonight it featured real champagne. The scene was like a locker room after the divisional championship, except more was actually going in mouths.

We spent the night at Luke’s girlfriend’s place in Ramona. She lives in a trailer on her parent’s property, and she put the rest of us up in guest trailers. We had a bonfire that night and in the morning her mom made us all breakfast. Now that’s the way to end a tour.

Ha Ha Tonka










Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin









"Champagne Supernova"




No comments: