Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Chris Mills; August 19, 2014; a house in Lake Geneva

I had fully intended to see many more of Chris Mills's living room shows, but as it turns out this is the only one I made it to outside of my house.  Funnily enough, the hostess of tonight's show was nicknamed Coco, "Hi Coco, I'm Kiki."  That was fun to say.  A big fan, Coco was hosting the show at her sister's house, which was also the house they grew up in, a spacious and gorgeous home with impossibly high ceilings and an in-ground pool out back sitting back from the road at the end of a cul-de-sac. Other than me and Shelia Sachs, a friend of Chris's from Chicago, Coco knew everyone in the room.  They were relatives, friends and co-workers, most of whom had never heard of Chris Mills.  But they enjoyed it, "that was my favorite song so far!" one excited audience member exclaimed after a song.

There were a handful of songs that differed from the set that he played in my basement, including the hostess's request for the Flaming Lips' "Waiting for Superman" which Mills had done on his terrific covers record.  I'm not sure I'd ever heard him do it live, and if I had, it would have been a long time ago.  It was totally worth the drive, and I left definitely wishing I was going to see more of these shows. 







No comments: