Thursday, February 11, 2010

Ha Ha Tonka/Chaperone/Beautiful Collision; February 11, 2010; House Café, DeKalb

Ha Ha Tonka was supposed to come through Madison opening for Cross Canadian Ragweed on December 10. Unfortunately that was the date of the single biggest snowstorm I’ve seen since moving back to Wisconsin fifteen years ago. The University closed and the buses weren’t running, and I got my first snow day since I’d started at the UW. In light of the predicted weather, the bands had the good sense to postpone their stop at the Majestic Theater. I knew they had to, but I was still disappointed that I wasn’t going to see them. After all, I hadn’t seen them since the end of October, and that seemed like years ago. They’ve rescheduled that show for April, but in the meantime they were playing a few shows temptingly close to Madison.

DeKalb is an easy enough drive, less than two hours from Madison and without the traffic that makes Chicago travel so unpredictable. I’d even been to the House Café before and found it eclectically charming. I wasn’t sure why they had put together a four band bill on a weeknight but figured they knew what they were doing. I was less sure of that after the bulk of the crowd left after the opening band, an engaging group of kids with a Wilco bent, finished their set. If they hadn’t already left, it’s possible that Beautiful Collision would have chased them out. Not that there was really anything wrong with them musically- they were all solid enough and the dude had a good voice- it was just that they were completely unoriginal. While I did find myself fascinated by the drummer’s gigantic ‘fro, I daydreamed through most of their set before being rescued by Brett and ushered downstairs to the green room.

There I met part of the third band on the bill. Chaperone’s vocalist Mary Spadaro and bass player Miles Doornbos who were also bemoaning a scheduling order that ensured that only a small portion of the original crowd would still be around by the time they played. The Chicago band is ridiculously high energy, incorporating extra percussion to ensure everyone was bopping their heads and shaking their butts during their set. While their vocals weren’t always spot on, I couldn’t help but get caught up in their music. I’d seen the dude with awesome mustache earlier, and was pleased to find out he was the lead singer/guitarist Shaun Paul. Mary and second vocalist Shaylah Kloska augmented their performance with a variety of percussion, maracas and tambourines were always close by. Miles had his own drum that he pounded with enthusiasm, but that didn’t prepare me for his turn on lead vocals, where he turned into a dynamo, cranking the energy up to 11. He was already my favorite before he gave me one of his chocolate, caramel, and sea salt cookies. Absolutely delicious, I recommend pairing it with a pale ale.

A small but enthusiastic crowd gathered in front of the stage as Ha Ha Tonka came on. They may have been disappointed by how much the crowd had dwindled, but they certainly didn’t let on. Their set hadn’t changed much from the last time I’d seen them, but that didn’t really matter. “Close Every Valve to Your Bleeding Heart” is still the highlight. A slow builder that has Brett switching from mandolin to electric guitar as the song gains momentum, only to slow again at the end. “I ask you why, you reply the death of hope hit you hard too,” Brian sings, and it kills me every time. I couldn’t skip back to it like I do nearly every time I play the CD, but that was the only disappointment.

If I had to vote which band member would be most likely to take off his shirt it would be bass player Luke Long. Surprisingly when it happened, it wasn’t on purpose. In an attempt to remove the outer of two shirts both came off, and with the song already underway he shrugged and put his bass back on. After the song he separated his T-shirt and put it back on. Sorry, I did not have my camera out. Novel Sounds of the Nouveau South has been out just under a year, but they are already at work on the next record. If all the new stuff sounds like the track they played tonight, they’re gonna be huge in no time (I hope they remember me). While South was somewhat of an acquired taste, starting good and getting better every time I listened to it, this new track was immediate. Super catchy, with Brian, Brett and Luke all singing, I felt like I knew it by the second chorus.

It was a comfort leaving tonight knowing that it wouldn’t be long before I saw them again. The show the next night was in Milwaukee, which is even closer to Madison than DeKalb, of course I’m going to be there.

Beautiful Collision

Chaperone







Ha Ha Tonka






No comments: