Sunday, February 21, 2010

Theodore/Surgeons in Heat; February 21, 2010; Kiki’s House of Righteous Music

I’ve had some poorly attended shows in the past, and every one feels like a personal failure, but I’ve never had one as spirit crushing as this one. What makes it even worse is that Theodore deserves so much better. Easily the best discovery of the last year, they singlehandedly made last year’s Twangfest worth the trip. Justin’s high and lonesome voice breaks hearts instantly. Multi-instrumentalists JJ and Andy quietly switch between a music store worth of instruments, choosing the perfect one (or ones) for every song. All while drummer just Jason smiles and keeps perfect time. It was a magical, hypnotic experience from the time Justin dedicated the set to himself on the site of his greatest triumph- beating me at ping pong- to the last wavering cry of Andy’s saw, the sound of which seemed to hang in the air for minutes after they were through. Too bad no one was there to see it except the most loyal of my house concert patrons.

The last time they had come to the house it was also a Sunday, but at least a handful of people had come out to see the always-terrific Jeremiah Nelson with his band the Achilles Heel. A few of them even stuck around for Theodore’s set. This time it seemed like a better idea to have Theodore play first, so that whoever the other band drew would be there for Theodore. Problem was no one came. A reliable source had told me probably twenty “out by you,” I’d have been happy with half that. I’d been waiting to hear back from two other bands when they asked if they could jump on the bill. I checked my sources, listened to their MySpace stuff, and watched the songs they had recorded at WMSE. They weren’t a perfect match for Theodore but it still seemed like a good idea.

I’ve always had a policy of not booking bands I haven’t seen, one I ignored for this show, but it might be a good one. “It’s going to be tough following Theodore,” lead singer/guitarist Johnathan Mayer protested at the beginning of their set, “it’s like they’re Wilco and we’re Jet.” Jet was probably a compliment. It seemed many of their problems could have been solved by a decent tuner and a guitar that stayed in tune, but even a loaner of both didn’t help. In light of Mayer’s opening comment, a Wilco cover halfway through the set was perhaps not the best idea, especially when he admitted they hadn’t played it in awhile. By this point I’d discovered that Old Grandad is a way better whiskey than I would have expected.

I’ll give Surgeons in Heat another chance, since I give everyone a second chance, but I’ve learned my lesson. And I will get Theodore a good show at the house, if it's the last thing I do.


Theodore








Surgeons in Heat

No comments: